Sunday, August 19, 2007

A victory for...?

So, yesterday morning, I took out The State, the local newspaper, when I saw this story.


College students, the defenders of free T-shirts and free speech, have chalked up another victory: free music.

More than 40,000 University of South Carolina students heading to school this weekend will be able to download more than 2.8 million songs to their computers at no cost — thanks to a new agreement between the university and Ruckus online music.

...

“Downloading is free,” said Kimberly South, public information coordinator for USC’s technology services. “Transferring is not.”


As a local high school student, I can't tell whether to be excited or appalled by this. A victory for free music advocates? or a victory for DRM?

The article says that Macs are unsupported, which I assume means that everything but Windows is unsupported. As a Linux user, this is quite the slap in the face! I'm not going to give up my choice of operating system just to download music with DRM.

So, I ask my readers...a victory for DRM, or a victory for the college students?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a victory for your shitty ass article